Friday, February 23, 2007

Sex n Guns

I have tried my best not to bring this up, but I can't hold it in any longer....

Why are Americans more at ease with guns than sex? This is on my mind because of the Super Bowl. Watching the game this year brought up memories of that fun time with Miss Janet. (Which if you actually watched it in real time, was imperceptible.) Anyway, while Prince was playing this year we were reminiscing about how up in arms everyone was about seeing a boob.

The part I really don't understand is that right after Prince finished playing, the next FIVE commercials had guns and shooting...shows like 24 etc. It was startling. My son was standing in front of the TV with his mouth hanging open absorbing it all. I was like Holy Crap! Can we change the channel please! Then a couple of days after the game everyone was complaining that the guitar that Prince used was "Too Phallic". What? Are you kidding? Didn't anyone see the commericals afterward?

The reason I say Americans is because the sex-phobia seems to only exist here in the US. Europeans don't seem to have the same hang-ups. Look at the ad for the Mini Cooper on Saratoga's page here. Did you see this ad run on tv here? I didn't think so. I just don't understand what's so wrong with sex. I would much rather have my son see boobs than people shooting each other. I can't believe people let their kids play games like Grand Theft Auto. I just don't get it.

I want my son to grow up with a positive self-image. I don't want him to ever think that sex is dirty. (Unless you want it to be. Hahaha...sorry, off topic.) Bodies are OK, guns are definately NOT.

7 comments:

MissBonnie said...

ohhh girl do I hear you on this topic.

Having three boys under ten i couldn't agree with you more, I often feel that America comes across as a nation of gun toting sexually up tight war moggers..No offense to Americans some of my best friends are in the states.
but as a nation you really do need to loosen up.

Most of the laws regarding the adult sex industry and governing of web sites is set in the states forcing other nations like Australia to follow suit when in truth the 'sex' industry as whole is very widely excepted here(oz).

Anonymous said...

The problem stems from that "separation of church and state" thing that we espouse, but have never seemed to fine-tune. While we make no laws establishing religion, we've allowed some of the more religious fundamentalists to influence our lawmaking.

The period from the 1920s to the 1950s saw a wonderful cultural explosion, but at the same time, the reaction to the influx of foreigners, the Great Depression followed by a period of growth, and other factors led to some cultural isolationism in many US states.

Unfortunately, the laws and attitudes of those times fostered the schizophrenic attitudes that remain with us today.

Ms Alice said...

Bonnie, you must watch the Michael Moore's documentary movie about the Americans and guns.
I think the tittle is: Undeclared war.
It's absolutely shocky.

Mrs. Claudia said...

I am with you silverkey,

I found it totally ridiculous that the news commentators were talking about the ads that had homosexual undertones during the superbowl. Personally I didn't see what they saw, but I guess I am just a dumb blonde (yeah right!) The violence in our country is totally out of control. If we focused on guns and murders like we focused on sex we would be the safest country on earth!

Even here in sincity, we are a really sexually conserative town, but our crime rate is skyrocketing. They will deny a business license to a fetish shop / club saying they don't condone violence but then be shocked when a security guard is gunned down on the strip after a high profile basketball game. Maybe if they controlled guns like they control the BDSM scene here we would have a lovely town.

I just can't see the logic!

Silverkey said...

Mrs Claudia,
I totally agree with you. We were there when the swell for the upcoming game was happening....and the club shooting was what finally put me over the edge to write this post.

oldbear said...

Hi guys, i pretty much agree with all of what you posted, and I am a gun owner who believes in the right to bear arms! More sex adn less vilence. I thinkn it should be illegal to show stuff linking sex and violence on TV.

We over-glorify violence and the military in this country, especially right now. We are uptight about sex and ALL irrational about even discussing it!

And yes I did join Americans unioted for the separation of church and state cuz that is a big problem!!

To the rest of the world, sorry for our extremeists: some of us are fighting like muthas to stop them, and the bombing/invasions of Iran!!

Anonymous said...

Good post.